Strategic Development Plan
Development strategy of the University for 2014-2018 years is a conceptual document, specifying formation outlook of the innovative type HEI, focused on creation ofacademic environment for training a new generation specialist, whose profile, competence and qualification will be competitive, meeting all requirements of the job market.
The normative base for generation of the University’s development strategy was Strategic development plan of the Republic of Kazakhstan till 2020, approved by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 922 dated 01.02.2010, Strategic development plan of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2014-2018 years, approved by the governmental regulation No. 258 dated 26.03.2014, State program for development of education of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2011-2020 years, approved by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 1118 dated 07.12.2010, Address of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Leader of the nation N.A. Nazarbayev to the people of Kazakhstan “Kazakhstan – 2050” Strategy”: New Political Course Of The Established State”.
Situation analysis, SWOT-analysis andrisk analysis based on statistical data by the next types of the University activity were made to define main strategic directions and concretization of the Strategic plan goals:
- the University formation system;
- students and graduate;
- human resources;
- material and technical infrastructure;
- sources of financing and application directions;
- support services;
- training-educational work;
- relations with partnership institutions and organizations (see Section 3. Strategic development plan of the RSIU for 2014-2018 years on the University web-site www.rsiu.kz).
After completion of the analysis, the draft of the Strategic development plan for 2014-2018 years, focused on implementation of goals and objectives of the University stated mission,corresponding to available material resources and intellectual actives of the University, defining long-term priorities of the University development as the leading educational center of the region was presented (Enclosure 1.1).
Competitive position of the RSIU at the regional educational service market is presented in the form of analysis of amount of offered study programs by the next HEIs by Bachelor’s, Master’s programs and Doctorate (Table 1.1).
As it is seen from Table 1.1, the RSIU holds the leading position by the amount of study programs amongnon-state HEIs of the region, however it essentially gives place to M. Auezov South Kazakhstan State University and Kh.A.Yassawi International Kazakh-Turkish University.
When prioritizing in the choice of direction of the activity, the University administration takes into account policy of the state in the field of education, global development trends of education, established traditions, regional specific features and corporate culture of the HEI.
The main strategic development directions are as follows:
- the University management system improvement;
- development of thepersonnel potential andprofessional improvement system;
- systematic development in the training of specialists taking into account integration to the international educational space;
- improvement in quality andefficiency ofscientific investigations and innovations;
- development of the University information-communication technologies;
- modernizationandsystematic development of educational activity;
- development of material and technical base andsupply of resources.
The heads of units andemployees of the University, as well as students were acquainted with this document. The students actively participated in discussion of the document. Taking into account opinion of the staff, the Strategic development plan of the University for 2014-2018 years was accepted and the mission, goals and objectives of the University were specified (Minutes No. 2 dated 24.09.14 of the Academic Council). Target indicators andfigures, characterizing the level of attainment of the plans, were developed based on the University development strategy.
Introduction of modifications to the strategic plan draft occurred withobligatory analysis of all opinions and the final version was approved at the University’s Academic Council.
The Strategic development plan for 2014-2018 years was issued typographically, sent to all structural units in paper and electronic versions, given to the library stock withfull access for students and the staff, placed on the University web-site (www.rsiu.kz).
In connection withacceptance of the strategy for 2014-2018 years, the working group, consisting of the heads of the University structural units, policy in the field ofquality assurancefor 2014-2018 yearswas worked out.
Draft policy in the field ofquality assurance was placed to the Universityelectronic net forfamiliarization andextensive discussion in the structural units. The policy in the field ofquality was discussed on the faculties’ meetings with participation of the teaching staff andsupporting personnel. Comments andsuggestions were considered on the meeting ofCoordination Council, after that, their final version was formulated. The policy in the field ofquality assurance was accepted on the meeting of theCoordination Council on September 14, 2014 (Minutes No. 1). Text of the policy was placed on display stands of all faculties, chairs, structural units and web-site of the University (www.rsiu.kz).
The policy in the field ofqualityof the University was defined by its mission, strategic development plan for 2014-2018 years, goals and objectives and focused on assurance of high quality of educational services and scientific investigations.
System of the internal quality assurance is based on theprocess approach and involvessystematic determination and management by the processes, as well as their interactionwith a view to attain expected results in accordance with the quality policy and strategic directions. Management of each process and system in general is realized using PDCA cycle, in accordance with the requirements of the international standard ISO 9001-2008 (Figure1.1).
The processes of planning:
- strategic development plan of the University;
- operational working plans of the University, faculties, chairs and other structural units for academic year;
- individual plans of the teaching staff;
- working curricula by specialties;
- individual curricula of students and undergraduates.
As is seen from Figure 1, all plans are worked out in the context of the University mission and vision, in accordance withfundamental principles of ISO 9001-2008: consumer orientation and process approach.
In the course of provision of educational services,the Universitycollects informationwith a view to define requirements oftrainees,employers and other interested parties. At that, questionnaire is used in the quality of the main monitoring methods.
It is carried out by appropriate structural units of the University. Besides, the University administrationacts on the basis oftransparency andaccessibility principles forthe trainees, teaching staff, parents. Twice a year the rector holds meetings withprepositors of group, where he and students discuss their problems, appropriate measures are taken by results of the meetings. There is a blog of the rector at the University web-site, where everyone may write his/her message, questions, on which the rector answers on-time.
There areboxes for comments,complaints (reclamations) and offers in the HEI, where everyone maydrop his/heranonymous orregistered message.
Planned main indicators of the processes in the form of target indicators are presented in the University’s Strategic development plan for 2014-2018 years and are the basis when working out operational working plans of the University, faculties, chairs and other structural units and individual plans of the teaching staff.
The teaching staff,trainees, administration of the University play a key role when working out and implementing the quality assurance policy.
Scientific-methodical approach to the development of study programs for each of the educational levels, based on formation of a future specialist competence was realized in direct participation of the teaching staff. The teaching staffgathers and considers offers of employers to form the catalogue of elective disciplines.
The teachers participate in creation of working curricula of specialties, compose study programs, study programs for disciplines, syllabi and other teaching materials.
Activity of the University and its structural units is based on the strategic and annual planning and regulated by the Rules for internalworkingschedule, appropriate Regulations, describingassignment,organizationalsubordinacy,assigned personnel of the employees,normative base.
The regulations for the structural units (faculties, chairs, divisions) state status, assignment, structure, main functions and objectives of a subdivision, powers, responsibility and rights, interaction with other subdivisions.
The duty regulations of the University employees statejob specifications,functions, rights and responsibilities of employees, assigned for appropriate positions.
Originals of these documents are kept in thepersonnel division, copies – in appropriate subdivisions. These documents are managed in accordance with the University procedure ҚП-АӘИУ-4.2.3-2014“Document management” (Enclosures 5.1a, 5.1b).
Perspective directions of the University activity, focused on interaction between teaching, scientific investigations and training, are represented in the University policy for 2014-2018 years.
The University worked out and accepted Code of academic honesty, the collective of teachers and students, supportingfurtherance of the academic honesty policy,strives to beprincipal andmany-sided. Ensuring equal conditions when entering the HEI and hiring is provided by the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Education law, Labor code and “Standard rules foradmission on training to the educational organizations, realizing study programs of higher education”, approved by the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 111 dated 19.01.2012.
In the course of provision of educational services, the University collects informationwith a view to elicit facts of corruption. Questionnaire is used in the quality of the main monitoring methods.
The questionnaire is carried out by appropriate structural units of the University. Filled in questionnaires are processed, reports by the monitoring results are passed to therectorate fordecisioning, and to all interested structural units.
The corruption fact monitoring is carried out among the trainees in accordance with theapproved plan. Unscheduled inspections can be also carried out by recommendations of the University administration.
The processes indicators’ assessment and realization degree of the policy in the University quality assurance field is realized on the basis of monitoring of the main target indicators of the Strategic plan. The monitoring and analysis of realization of the main activity indicators of the whole University or its subdivisions, which compared with their planned level, are carried out during eachsix months. Risks, opportunities for effective use of the resources are assessed, measures to improve the University activity indicators are planned. The University development strategy realization assessment results are considered and discussed on the Academic Council meetings, on the Faculty Council meetings, on the meetings of the chairs and other structural units of the University, in students’ collectives.
The assessment involves the next stages:
- gathering of information for data analysis;
- carrying-out of the data analysis and development of corrective, preventive actions and measures on the basis of the analysis results;
- execution, presentation and storage of the data analysis results;
- review of the data analysis results on the meetings, formulation and carrying-out of corrective, preventive actions and measures to improvequalitative indicators.
Gathering and analysis of data favor to decisioning on improvement and corrective and preventive actions.The data analysis is carried out in all levels of the University. The data analysis in the administration level is carried out once a year when analyzing QMS on the part ofleadership in accordance withdocumentary procedures ҚП-АӘИУ-4.6-2014“Analysis on the part of leadership” (Enclosures 5.1a, 5.1b).
Input data of the analysis are the next:
- consumer satisfaction and appropriate interested parties’ feedback;
- key performance indicators (KPI);
- indicators of the processes and their appropriateness;
- results of the monitoring and measures;
- results of internal and external auditors, inspections;
- sufficiency of the resources;
- compliance of the graduates to the requirements of employers;
- changes in internal and external environments, including:
- results of previous analyses;
- need to carry out preventive and corrective actions;
- opportunities to improve QMS processes.
Output dataof the analysis on the part ofleadership include decisions and measures, which refer to:
- opportunities to improve needs in the resources;
- needs in the resources;
- any needs in changes of the quality assurance system.
Cohesiveness andefficiency of the University structural units, defined by high level ofprofessionalism andcorporate liability of the staffplay a pivotal role when supporting and functioning the planned processes. Strides andachievements of the University, its leaders, scientists, students greatly influence on formation, development and maintenance of corporate culture of the University quality and values.
Main cultural characteristics of the University quality and values are:
- orientation of the staff on realization of the mission, achievement of strategic goals and fulfilment ofstrategic objectives of the University;
- stability and creativity of the staff, partnership and business relations between the units, teachers, employers and students;
- high corporate culture, observance of internal regulations, instructions and prescriptions, providing required efficiency of the work;
- awareness and ability of the staff to apprehend innovative ideas and proposals,strain after improvement of professional and managerial competences;
- observance ofprofessional ethics by the staff, formation of positive image of the University andcareful attitude to the property and values of the HEI;
- continuous quality improvement of educational, scientific and information services, formation of partnership relations with national and foreign HEIs, research institutes, organizations and enterprises;
- reliable and integrated assessment ofprofessional activity, moral and material encouragement of the teaching staff activity;
- development of ability to perceivecriticism, raise honesty,modesty,fairness and other positivepanhuman qualities.
The following measures were realized forfurther development of the University cultural qualities and values:
- basic documents, regulating training-methodical, scientific, educational processes and providing quality and high efficiency of the staff activity were worked out and approved;
- “Code of honor of a teacher and student of the University” (approved on the meeting of the Academic Council, minutes No. 1 dated 28.08.2015) was worked out and accepted;
- the University museum,popularizing cultural-historical values and introducing history of the region functions;
- Republican and international scientific conferences are held;
- regular meetings with the University graduates are held with a view to maintain intergenerational continuity;
- round tables, workshops, meetings, disputes and debates on various questions of ethics, law enforcement, morality andhealthy life-style formation are organized with a view to educate well-developed young generation;
- traditional measures, favoring to the growth ofprofessional competence,responsibility, ability toself-organization andself-development of personality, such asKnowledge Day,Independence Day,Autumn Ball, Costume ball for students, “Kyz aruy”, “Zhigit sultany”, etc. are held;
- supervisory control, providing leadership andcoordination of thecharacter building, functions.